On yesterday’s post, I explained that I got my hives “honey bound” by overfeeding them. My task since then has been to figure out how that happened. Here is what I have figured out. If you have some feedback, I’d love to hear it in the comments.
I signed up for the monthly program at Texas Bee Supply where I get an email that tells me what I need to be doing in the bees each month. I read that I should be feeding them, and I am nothing if not diligent, so I was feeding them as much as they would take.
From what I’ve been able to figure out, the advice they were giving was based on me having harvested honey in early July. Since I only got my hive in late May, I did not have any honey supers and did not harvest.
So, my hive had every bit of the honey they had produced…and how I was feeding them unlimited syrup. It makes total sense that they went overboard and filled up all of the space which left our poor queen with nowhere to do her work.
So, I guess the answer is to keep an eye on your frames. If the honey stores are low, pitch in. If they’re okay, let them bee!